Sunday, October 21, 2012

Rhinebeck: There and Back Again

Friday morning we were off on our first vacation in years. New York Sheep and Wool Festival, here we come.

First stop was the Wawa in Crofton for a fill up and window check.

We also needed road food.

You know you're going somewhere when you cross out of Maryland and into Delaware.

We could keep track of where we had been by the tolls we paid. We paid plenty.

We didn't have an EZ pass so we not only had to pay, we had to sit in line for the privilege.


 It was a very scenic trip even though most of the scenery that we interacted with was adjacent to a rest stop.

 Gas at home was $3.50 a gallon and up here in New York state-it was not.

I was more than happy to get to the hotel in Poughkeepsie. It was wet outside but warm. I really enjoyed this cigar.

 The whole trip was planned around her interest in the fiber arts but it was me who made the first purchase. I picked up a vintage rug hooking tool for $25. I have been collecting the things to make a rug for three years now. One day I just might start one.

I almost made another purchase but I came to my senses. These Australian Shepard puppies were for sale at Pucker Brush Farm-one of her favorite places for wooly stuff.

Thankfully all the other animals there were not for sale.

The Paws Stars performing dogs were amazing.

Everyone knows I am a sucker for Border Collies and they had plenty.

They also had other dogs that performed some incredible tricks.

I'm not admiring the car.

I'm trying to figure out how they carted around so many dogs.

They also had plenty of the expected fiber fest animals but it was too dark in the barns to get any decent photos.

When I found the exhibition hall that was filled with food, I spent a while tasting samples and standing in line to buy whoopie pies and pickles

 I also couldn't pass up the usual fair food. The lines were terrible for the more refined stuff but me-I'm happy with the basics.



I didn't forget dessert.


 I couldn't leave the festival without some wool so I picked out a few scraps of it just in case I might want to start that project some day.

I also brought home a bad cold.


No comments:

Post a Comment